Thursday, October 27, 2016

Deepavali 2016


Deepavali is tomorrow. We got a few artists and entertainers to describe their Deepavali plans as well as what Deepavali meant to them.  

Headline : Spirit of Deepavali 
By Bissme S

ON SATURDAY, Malaysians will be celebrating Deepavali, one of Hinduism’s main festivals. Spiritually, Deepavali signifies the victory of light over darkness, and of good over evil. We asked a few Malaysian celebrities and entertainers about their Deepavali plans. 
------------------------------------------------------

Hardee Bee, beatboxer and emcee 

“Deepavali is a time for bonding with your family and friends. “Deepavali is also a time to be grateful. I have a lot to be grateful for this year. “I [opened] for Anirudh Ravichander (a well-known film composer and singer in India), when he held a  concert in Kuala Lumpur early this year. “Anirudh also asked me to provide some beatbox rhythms for the song Nee  Kadhalan, for the Tamil movie Remo (starring  famous Madras movie star 
 Sivakarthikeyan). I managed to showcase my talent outside Malaysia.”  
-------------------------------------------------

Revathy Mariappan, TV host 

Deepavali is about family, friends and food. Deepavali gives you the opportunity to catch up with your [loved ones] while [eating 
everything from] thosai to mutton curry. 
Usually, my Deepavali morning starts with a visit to the temple with my husband. Then, we will have breakfast with my parents, followed by lunch with my in-laws.    
When I was a kid, I thought Deepavali was about playing with firecrackers,  getting new clothes and  money packets. Now as 
an adult, I understand the real meaning of Deepavali. It is about
bringing smiles to others.”
-------------------------------------------------- 

M. Subash Mannan, film director and actor 

Besides acting and  directing, I also run  tuition classes in Banting and Cheras. My students and I are planning to visit an orphanage on the first day of  Deepavali. 
On the second day of Deepavali, we will be visiting an old folks’ home. We will be bringing them food and also entertaining them. We want to bring cheer and brightness to [people]. Deepavali is about the glow of love and we should be spreading [it] all over the place. 
-----------------------------------------------


Alinda A. Alphonse, singer-actress 

My aunt passed away early this year so our celebration will be a low-key affair. We might take a trip to the sea. 
When you are a child, Deepavali is all about  receiving – from the food, to ‘ang pows’. When you become an adult, your role changes. On  Deepavali, you are the one giving to [the young ones]. I don’t go overboard with buying  Deepavali outfits. I just make sure that I wear [at least one new piece of attire] in the morning. It could be something as simple as just getting a new pair of shoes. 
I never forget to take the oil bath and go the temple on Deepavali morning. I would like to advise my fans to drive carefully on the road and not to play with fireworks. The last thing you want is an accident.”
----------------------------------------------

Aanantha, TV host, radio deejay and actor 

I have been taking up yoga and meditation for some time, and last year, I became a vegetarian. So when I visited people last  Deepavali, they were  surprised when I did not eat their spicy prawns and their juicy  mutton. Some of them teased me for missing out on the delicious food. But I have [enjoyed] being a vegetarian. My stomach [aches less]. 
Deepavali is about forgetting the animosity you have with others, and building a better relationship with everyone around you.
-------------------------------------------------------------

 Shanjey Kumar Perumal, film director  

I got married recently. I will soon become a father. According to Indian custom, in the first year of marriage, I should be celebrating 
 Deepavali with my wife’s family in Rawang. On the second day of Deepavali, I will be going back to Parit Buntar, Perak, to visit my 
 parents. 
I must also count my  blessings that my film Jagat won the awards for for best  director and best film at the recent Malaysian Film Festival. I have been  working hard to make this film a reality for the last 10 years. My attempts have been fruitful.  
--------------------------------------------------------------


Ajith Bhaskar Dass, Indian classical dancer  

I have two dance shows coming up. I will be busy rehearsing, but I only take one day off on Deepavali day. My siblings from Kuala Lumpur and Penang will be coming down to Johor Baru to spend the festival with me and my mum. 
During my childhood days, my Chinese and Malay friends would visit me. There was a lot of appreciation for each other’s culture then. “These days I do not see this happening and that is not healthy for the community and the country
--------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment